Friday, September 10, 2010

Monopoly Money & The Kids Store

It became painfully obvious very, very quickly in the whole home school thing that I needed bribes. I feel bad saying it like that ... but hey ... the real world is always full of bribes, so bribes it is for us too!

I found that you can actually print monopoly money off of their website and the kids are now able to pick up $2 a day. $1 if they do well at school, $1 if they finish all their chores in a nice, timely manner. It's working pretty dang well too. But what do they get for their monopoly money???

Well ... each week we have family movie night. Usually I just let the kids pick a candy & they would share it together with some popcorn, but not anymore. Now, they have to pay for it with their monopoly money. Savannah is in charge of running the store (it gives her a chance to practice working with money, and to do simple addition and subtraction in her head), they are designing a store board today, they're pretty excited.

But, the real life lesson comes in the "other" store that is now being offered. They can save their additional money they earn each week to earn toys & fun things. So far the store has a ballerina dress up outfit, an outdoor tools (chalk extravaganza), craft stuff, 2 different bakugans, a cute little barbie, and a sonic game for the ds/gameboy advance.

Each were things I've been slowly accumulating dirt cheap (75% off or more)... and each is beyond the purchase power of the kids each week ... and if they really buy the candy, popcorn, drink each week it will take 5 weeks for Hunter to earn the used Sonic game he wants so badly. Colton is super excited about being able to buy his own bakugan toy too ... Hunter tried to tell him no that it was his, but that was quickly changed when I pointed out that all toys are available for any kids ... whoever saves first, gets it.

I was really hoping that they would love it, and they do. You should have seen Savannah's face when she walked in today & saw the Ballerina dress up outfit ... pure love. They have the ability to earn up to $10 a week, $5 will go to candy (unless they figure out to purchase together & save more money), which will leave them working towards something they want for a bit ... but will really help them learn the value of hard work, saving for things and the awesome feeling when you finally earn it.

And now, it's time to get back to the house ... it's thrashed ... again. LOL. And since today is going to be a cold, windy day we're making cookies and cinnamon burst bread ... math and basic life skills for the morning. Before heading to the library ... Friday's are our easy days. :)

3 comments:

OurLittleFamily said...

That is awesome! You are such an awesome mom! Your kiddos are lucky! Glad you are one of the parents helping to teach their kids that they must earn things in life instead of being just handed everything...You Rock!. Not too many parents are teaching that these days....trust me...working with the youth has opened my eyes up to that.

Britta said...

I love that idea. I may have to steal it for my kids. They would love that. Do you get your toys on ebay?
I've been looking for something for my kids to learn the value of hard work and Monopoly money is good because it's that instant reward, then, when they save up enough, they get the ultimate reward. Love it!
I'm doing points right now, but that's not enough of an reward for them. Thanks for the ideas and good luck with home school. I'm with Danielle, YOU ROCK!

kira said...

Thanks Britta, it's actually going pretty well actually. Some of the toys so far were little toys that I picked up at the clearance racks at Target & Toys r' Us. The used Gameboy Advance games will work on the kids DS' games and those you can get anywhere from $3 - $10 usually at Game Stop and then I've just been keeping an eye out everywhere we go. Walgreens is starting to clear out summer & I'll pick up holiday clearance too ... the kids don't care that it's a halloween pez during thanksgiving ... they just want the candy. :)