Friday, September 28, 2012

Preparedness Fair & Colonial Days

Last weekend we got the wonderful opportunity to put on a preparedness fair for our ward. I've been over food storage for almost a year now, and a few months ago they called Ryan to be emergency preparedness. The poor man didn't know what had hit him when I started *very excitedly* telling him all I had planned. LOL. I didn't remember to take any photos of the event, but it was a TON of work. We put together 26 binders for the ward members (each one represented a family) - it was from several blogs worth of information, and is meant to store all their emergency documents in case of an ... emergency. And then 21 families ended up getting barrels, so we brought up 33 barrels (thanks to an awesome ward member donating his truck, trailer and time to help us out). That evening we had four speakers lined up to talk about different aspects of emergency preparedness, and we had a REALLY good turn out for our ward ... I had been bracing for no one to show up, so it was VERY exciting to see something that we felt so strongly about doing, turn out so well. We were so grateful for a wonderful bishopric and RS presidency being very supportive of our crazy idea. :) It was an absolutely amazing experience! I'll post links later ...
But, I wanted to quickly post photos from this amazing experience we had today. One of the home school Moms' from our group invited us to spend the night at their house (right by Denver) and to attend this wonderful event with them. They are a wonderful family and the kids are BEGGING to go back again soon and do another thing with them (to be honest, I'm anxious to spend time there again too!).
Living History Days is in Denver twice a year and the kids LOVED it. Apple cider pressing, writing with ink & quill, billowing the fire for the blacksmith, playing games from the times, acting out the soldier commands, stuffing mattress, making hand towels, sawing and even washing clothes! The actors and actresses were AMAZING, never breaking from script and answering ANY question we could think of. Absolutely an amazing time. :)

No comments: