Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Because having four kids didn't make me strange enough ...

So I have mentioned to some people & thought I'd "announce" it here ... we're homeschooling. This coming from the family that bought there house in Vegas when Hunter was TWO YEARS OLD specifically for the elementary school he'd enter someday. That literally had no intention of leaving Henderson during the elementary school years of our children to let them have the dual language program that we felt would be so beneficial to them in their later years.
Why?
Well, rather than go into the whole, spiritual prompting & getting answers to prayers, I'll point out one part of why it has felt so right.
EDUCATION IS A RIGHT IN WYOMING.
Which sounds okay ... until you get into the nitty-gritty, stupid politicians/government workings of it all.
By declaring education as a right, you can't have an over-crowded classroom, because that would infringe on the rights of the students. So what happens to those kids??? They get shipped to a different school ... but only for that year, possibly another depending on where there are openings the year after.
Hunter attended a different school then he was zoned for this last year, and then for this year he'd be attending the school he was technically zoned for.
But ... there wouldn't be room for Savannah. Which meant she would be attending a different school then her older brother, but I'd have to drop them both off at the same time.
So, to counter that the school district provides busing ... so Savannah would be dropped off at 7:30 for her bus to take her to another school, then Hunter would be taken back to the same school an hour later to be dropped off for his day. Then, pick up Hunter at 3:30, go back an hour later to pick up Savannah at 4:30.
Unless, I opt for them to attend the same school ... which meant an entirely third choice from the school their zoned for & the school that Hunter attended last year ... across town ... in a not - so - great area of town.
With the idea that we might have to switch back again to a closer school if they had an opening during Hunter's 3rd grade/Savannah's 1st grade year. Which would be Hunter's FOURTH elementary school in four years ... it's a nightmare.
What I've been the most surprised about though is the number of homeschool kids, someone told me near 10% of the population, which fits what the library thinks as well. It's felt very overwhelming, but as we've gotten going it's more & more okay ...
So ... having four kids didn't make me strange enough, now I'm also a Homeschooling freak of nature (in the words of the pioneer woman) ... heaven help me.

6 comments:

MM said...

That school system just sounds like a nightmare! If anyone can pull the homeschooling off, it's you! YOU CAN DO IT!

Bridget said...

That is so crazy! I have never heard of such a thing. I homeschooled my oldest for Kindergarten and 1st grade. It is hard because it takes so much of your day, but very rewarding, too. Knowing that I taught my son to read still is a great accomplishment to me. We used the Abeka system (a Christian based program) and I really liked it. www.abeka.com Good luck!

Miki said...

You can do it!

OurLittleFamily said...

Girl...you will do great. You always do. You are awesome for doing what you have been prompted to do. :)

Lisa said...

I know you'll be great at it! Which program did you decide to use?

Mary said...

UGH! I understand why you are homeschooling. Goodluck.

I know MANY who do it and I think they are great. Maybe you'll only do it for a few years. It doesn't have to define you.