Friday, July 16, 2010

Denver Zoo - Part Deux -

We are spending every minute outside that we can, and my kids are still the pastiest things around ... ugh. Today's high will be 85, tomorrow's is 93. But I have no a/c ... and our house FACES the sun so we get lots of heat ... it's miserable. Laugh all you want Vegas ... but you have a/c & I can enjoy 45 degrees without my coat & be happy ... so there.
Ryan's been gone all this week ... and so of course we're all up at night/not sleeping & the temper tantrums & meltdowns are huge. I've been telling Ryan I'm so excited for when he comes home ... I'm sleeping in on Saturday ... until at least 7:30 a.m. :)
Which ... I promised I wouldn't post anywhere public that he's gone ... but this blog is private ... so I should be safe, right?
Yesterday I surprised the kids with a trip to the Denver Zoo. It's a two hour drive each way ... so we tried to break it up a bit with stopping @ JCPenny & stocking up on their clearance clothes for next year and then Costco for pizza for lunch. I got such nasty looks for feeding Jax pizza ... it took all my strength not to look at them & tell them to shut up & leave us alone. **I was tired & cranky & was three hours into the drive/trip to the zoo at that point**
The kids have little books I got them. Each time we go now they have to fill out facts about two animals. And then they read a lot about them & get to take their pictures for the books too. Thankfully they always picked a shady/covered spot. 100 degrees at the zoo ... is very, very miserable.
The kids loved being the map guide ... all three of them ... guiding us in different directions.
But the coolest/creepiest thing was seeing the Siberian tiger. We were in the indoor structure & Colton kept yelling "Hi tiger!". And then, the tiger got up & crossed the huge place they kept it in & just stood there ... have you ever made eye contact with a tiger before??? I know what it was thinking ... LUNCH! It kept going around in circles over & over again, right in front of the kids keeping it's eyes on them the whole time. Then, the story of the gorilla that escaped it's cage crossed my mind & I decided I didn't want to see if the tiger could bust the windows or jump it's tiny little ditch, so we left. But we had to walk by it to get to the sea lions ... and the tiger had gotten down into it's ditch. So we walked a little faster ...
The kids had a great time, although we only lasted about two hours before having to make the drive back ... thankfully they slept the whole way. :)

3 comments:

OurLittleFamily said...

How fun! Sorry you don't have AC...ugh...that would make it hard to sleep.

Sorry you have to deal with the tantrums by yourself. You got your hands full, but you make it look easy all the time...you rock.

Oh...and when people give you those dirty looks for giving Jax pizza...just let them know they are #1 or #11...that depends on if you have two hands free or not.

MM said...

sleeping in until 7:30am? My, you are a rebel. ;) i love zoo's AND costco pizza... darn, wish i coulda been there with you :)

April said...

Ah! The zoo sounds great! Addy would love it there.

You are a brave brave woman! Hope Ryan is home now!